Visiting Assistant Professor and Graduate Director of Environmental Sciences
Why I Teach:"Exploring complex environmental, planning, and policy issues with bright, inquisitive students often provides them with new and sometimes radical perspectives on social challenges and provides me with a constant source of intellectual and professional energy."
Ph.D., Urban Planning and Public Policy, The University of Texas at Arlington
M.C.R.P., The University of Texas at Arlington
M.B.A., Information Systems Management, The University of Texas at Austin
M.A., Physics, University of Pennsylvania
B.S., Physics, Abilene Christian University
- American Planning Association (2004 – present)
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (2004 – present)
- Kent Hurst, “Survivalism to Prometheanism: A Continuum in Environmental Policy” (August 31, 2010). School of Urban and Public Affairs, University of Texas at Arlington.
- Jeff Howard & Kent Hurst, “Planning for Strong Climate Protection: Toward a Democratic, Precautionary Footing for Planning Expertise” (2007). Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning 48th Annual Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Kent Hurst, “Climate Change Mitigation: Can American Urban Planning Matter?” (2007). Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning 48th Annual Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Jim Cornehls, Susan Allen (presenter), Kent Hurst, & Kelly Simons, “A Tale of Two Hurricanes: Katrina, Rita, Justice, Nature, and the City.” Royal Geographical Society Annual Program Meeting, London, England, August 28-September 1, 2006.
- Kent Hurst, “Urban Planning and Nonlinear Change” (11 October 2006). Center for Theory, University of Texas at Arlington.
- Hurst, K. (2013). [Review of the book Investigating Quality of Urban Life: Theory, Methods, and Empirical Research, by R. W. Marans & R. J. Stimson]. Journal of Planning Education and Research. doi: 10.1177/0739456X13492661.
- Hurst, K. (In press). In Encyclopedia of Transportation, M. Garrett & J. G. Golson, (Eds.). SAGE Publications.
- “Construction Management”
- “Private Toll Roads”
- “U.S. Rail Transit Systems”
- “Passenger Railroads.”
- Hurst, K. (2011). In Green Issues and Debates, P. Robbins, H. Schiffman, & J. G. Golson, (Eds.). SAGE Publications.
- “Carbon Trading (Cities)”
- “Green Jobs (Cities)”
- “Global Warming”
- “Greenhouse Gases”
- Hurst, K. (2010). In Green Politics: An A-to-Z Guide, D. R. Mulvaney, (Ed.). SAGE Publications.
- “Risk Assessment”
- “Global Climate Change”
- Cornehls, J. V., Allen, S. C., Hurst, K. L., & Simons, K. C. (2009). “Hurricane Katrina in Context: Institutionalized neglect or willful intent?” Social Justice in Context, 4(1), 83-96.
- Walz, K. (Ed.) (July 2010). “Green Infrastructure Sub-Task Force Report (APA Rebuilding America Task Force).” [Contributing author].
- Howard, J. & Hurst, K. (2009). “Planning for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in North Central Texas: A Roundtable Discussion.” School of Urban and Public Affairs, University of Texas at Arlington.
- Hurst, K. (Ed.). (June 2006). Proceedings: Texas Cities for Climate Protection Meeting.
- Anjomani, A. & Hurst K. (June 2006). Central Arlington Redevelopment Vision (Arlington, Texas).
- Tees, D., Kunde, J., Simons, K., & Hurst, K. (September 2005). Texas City Goals 100 Strategic Planning Process: Final Report.
- Li, J., Hissong, R. Cole, R. (January 2005). State of the Practice in Toll Financing: Implications for Texas (Technical Report 0-4433-2). Contributing author and research assistant.
- Chair, American Planning Association Student Representatives Council (2008 – 2010)
- Facilitator, Louisiana Recovery Planning Day, Dallas, Texas, January 2006
- Facilitator and Participant, Vision North Texas Regional Growth Planning Initiative (2007-2009)
- Member, Local Host Committee, American Planning Association 2006 National Planning Conference
- Member, Local Host Committee, Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning 47th Annual Conference, Fort Worth, Texas (2006)
- Session Moderator/Discussant, Selected Innovations in Planning Education, Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning 47th Annual Conference, Fort Worth, Texas (2006)
- University of Texas at Arlington President’s Sustainability Committee, Transportation Working Group (2007 – 2009)
For the complete CV, click here.
ES210 Environmental, Business, and Urban GIS
ES506 Research Methods
ES522 Spatial Analysis/GIS
ES525 Environmental Project Management and Control
ES545 Soils and Water Resources
ES547 Environmental Policy
ES575M Environmental and Land Use Planning
ES575O Land Use Law
ES575P The Urban Environment