Dr. Cynthia Newton
Associate Professor of Political Science
Why I Teach:"I believe in the amazing transformative value of education. It is exceptionally rewarding for me to work with students evolving to the next levels of their lives. The small size and teaching-centered atmosphere of Wesley College are an ideal setting to work closely with students and provide a highly personalized academic experience."
College Center 422
Ph.D., Concentration in Public and International Affairs, Northeastern University
M.P.A., Concentration in Nonprofit Management, Clark University
B.A., Concentration in Politics and Women's Studies, Assumption College
Area(s) of Research
- Major League Baseball and its history and interactions with American political institutions, addressing such topics as: congressional oversight, the Supreme Court, and presidential first pitches.
- The emergence of obesity as a public policy domain.
Grants and Awards
- Establishment of the Dr. Cynthia Newton Excellence in Leadership Award; Norwich University; May 2011.
- Dodge Teaching Award Nominee; Norwich University; Fall 2010.
- Pi Sigma Alpha, The National Political Science Honor Society; member since 2001; also founder/charter member of Norwich University chapter 2008.
Papers and Presentations
- Americans Governing Advisory Board Member for Soomo Publishing; Ashville, NC.
- “Campaigns and the Public Policy Agenda;” Americans Governing; Soomo Publishing; Ashville, NC; 2012.
- “Policy Positions;” Americans Governing; Soomo Publishing; Ashville, NC; 2012.
- “What is Policy Analysis;” Americans Governing; Soomo Publishing; Ashville, NC; 2012.
- “The Teacher: 2012 APSA Teaching and Learning Conference and Track Summaries;” PS: Political Science and Politics; July 2012.
- “The US Congress and Major League Baseball: An Examination of Legislative Process Through America’s Other Pastime;” presented at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association; April 2011; Chicago, IL
- Panel Chair and Discussant; “Institutions in State and Local Government;” at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association; April 2011; Chicago, IL.
- Obesity as an Emerging Public Policy Domain; book/monograph; Verlaag Publishing; 2010.
- State and Local Government by Kevin Smith; book review and cover comments; September 2009.
- The Politics of Obesity; presented at Norwich University’s Annual Faculty Scholarship Presentation; October 2009.
- “Why the Constitution is Important Today;” presented for the Teacher Workshop at the annual We the People High School Civics Competition; Montpelier, VT; May 2009.
PO231 American Politics
PO354 Constitutional Law: Powers
PO355 Constitutional Law: Rights
PO360 Public Administration
PO373 American Parties and interest Groups
PO375 Political Campaigns
PO376 Public Policy