Wesley's Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program provides a convenient way for working professionals with a four-year baccalaureate degree to become certified teachers for grades 7-12. Students in the program receive comprehensive training in educational theory and the support of Wesley's education faculty to become a confident and accomplished professional in the classroom.
• Obtain initial certification in secondary education in any secondary education subject area.
• Upon graduation, candidates are eligible for teaching certification with the designation of "highly qualified" in Delaware. This, combined with the reputation of Wesley's education program, helps explain the success of the program—our placement rate is more than 90 percent.
• The program can be completed in three semesters and one summer (1 year and 3 months).
• Candidates gain thorough training in a classroom setting by completing a culminating 14-week supervised student-teaching placement.
• In class, you'll study with Wesley's full-time education faculty, whose experience as teachers and researchers ensures both the continuity and quality of the program and your learning.
To apply, you must submit:
1. Official copies of all undergraduate transcripts (a minimum grade point average of 3.00 is required)
2. Official copies of passing scores (for Delaware) on the PRAXIS I — Reading, Writing and Math
3. Official copies of passing scores (for Delaware) on the PRAXIS II in the content area for which you wish to become certified
4. Two letters of recommendation that can assess your professional aptitude for teaching
5. A completed application that includes a statement of professional goals and a current resume
MAT candidates for the New Castle program are admitted only in the summer or fall semesters because of course sequencing requirements for the methods block (ED 534 and ED 506 MUST precede ED 536 and ED 519).
Applications must be submitted to Wesley's New Castle Admission Office.
For assistance please contact:
Dr. Patricia Patterson
Director of Graduate Studies in Education
Wesley College New Castle
13 Read's Way
New Castle, DE 19720