Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program gives certified teachers the courses and training to develop as reflective practitioners while learning action research skills that will improve student learning in their own classroom.
• This program offers a thesis-based structure that leads to an MA.Ed. or a non-thesis-based structure that leads to an M.Ed.
• Candidates design a culminating project based on their professional interests and defend it before three department members. Past projects include creating a portfolio demonstrating progress toward personal goals, developing an extensive curriculum project, and designing a self-evaluation piece similar to part of a National Board Certification portfolio.
• Coursework in the program is specifically designed to develop knowledge and skills that meet NCATE and NSDC standards for effective teachers.
• Candidates are assigned a temporary advisor upon acceptance into the program who helps the student develop a set of goals for the program in the areas of planning, delivery, and assessment. Permanent advisors who share the student's interests are assigned later.
• In class, you'll study with Wesley's full-time education faculty, whose experience as teachers and researchers ensures both the continuity and quality of the program and your learning.
• All of Wesley's education programs are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and the State of Delaware Department of Education.
To apply to this program, you must:
1. Have a minimum of one full year of teaching
2. Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
3. Provide evidence of a professional teaching certificate
4. Submit a completed application and official transcripts from all colleges attended
5. Provide two letters of recommendation attesting to your prior professional experience in education
6. Submit a statement of your professional goals and a resume
For assistance please contact:
Dr. Patricia Patterson
Director of Graduate Studies in Education
Wesley College New Castle
13 Read's Way
New Castle, DE 19720