In order for a Leave of Absence (LOA) to qualify as approved the following must apply:
1. Wesley College New Castle (WCNC) must have a formal LOA policy in writing & publicized to students indicating the information provided here.
2. The student must comply with the policy in requesting the LOA.
3. There must be an expectation that the student will return from the LOA.
4. WCNC must approve the LOA in accordance with the school’s policy.
5. WCNC may not assess the student any additional institutional charges, the student’s financial need may not increase & therefore, the student is not eligible for any additional Federal Student Aid.
6. The LOA may not exceed a total of 90 days in any twelve month period.
7. WCNC must explain to the student receiving Title IV loans, before granting the LOA, the effects that the student’s failure to return from an LOA may have on the student’s repayment terms, including the expiration of the student’s loan grace period. This explanation must be done in person between the student & the Financial Aid Officer (FAO) before the student’s last day of attendance.
WCNC Requirements for an LOA
An LOA will be an approved leave of absence if WCNC determines that there is a reasonable expectation the student will return. (3)
In addition, the student MUST adhere to the WCNC rules outlined here when requesting the leave of absence. The student has to complete and submit all the required paperwork BEFORE THEIR LAST DAY OF ATTENDANCE!! This means that the student must still be taking a currently running class to request an LOA for any class(es) that follow. Students must clearly note the reason for the leave on their LOA request. (2)
Requesting an LOA begins by completing the proper forms, an Add Form, a Drop Form & an LOA Form. These can all be found in Student Services and must be completed at the same time. Once completed, you are required to bring the papers to the Financial Aid Officer to verify the reason for the leave & explain the affect the LOA will have on the student’s financial aid. (7) The Financial Aid Officer will give the forms to the Student Advisor. If necessary, the Advisor will consult with the student about their courses & the LOA’s affect on graduation. If approved, the forms are submitted to the Business Office & Registrar for processing. (4)
LOA’s CANNOT begin mid-course
The only exception to this would be in case of an emergency.
If there is an unforeseen circumstance (e.g. medical and/or family emergencies, military duty, etc.), WCNC understands that this can prevent the student from providing the written request before their last date of attendance. In such a case an approval may be granted. For an emergency LOA approval the student MUST submit all the proper paperwork, meet with the FAO AND provide all the documentation supporting their circumstances to WCNC within 1 week (5 business days) of their last day of attendance. (7)
Length & Number of Approved LOA’s
WCNC will approve students for only ONE LOA in a 12-month period. A leave cannot exceed 45 days in length. However, time in excess of 45 days, must not exceed 90 days in any 12-month period. (6)
The LOA start date will be the student’s last date of class attendance and will be used to count the number of days in the leave. The count is based on the number of days between the last day of attendance and the re-entry date. The first approved LOA & its associated last day of attendance is also used when determining the start date for the 12-month period.
Once an LOA has been approved, students may NOT extend the length of the LOA.
Failure to Return
WCNC MUST explain to the student, prior to granting the leave of absence, the effect that their failure to return from the leave will have on student loan repayment terms, including the exhaustion of some or all of their grace period. A student on an approved leave of absence will be considered enrolled at WCNC and would be eligible for an in-school deferment for his/her Federal Stafford loans. If a student does not return from an approved leave of absence (using the re-entry course start date as originally approved), their withdrawal date and beginning of their grace period will be the last date of class attendance.
For assistance please contact:
Financial Aid Coordinator
(302)328-7508, Ext. 19
Wesley College New Castle
13 Read's Way
New Castle, DE 19720